National Research Center «Kurchatov Institute» is one of the leading research centers in the world and the largest interdisciplinary laboratory in Russia. A substantial part of Russian nuclear physics facilities has been consolidated in NRC «Kurchatov Institute». Center has integrated four research institutes: Kurchatov Institute (Moscow), Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute (Gatchina), Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Physics (Moscow), Institute for High Energy Physics (Protvino).
NRC «Kurchatov Institute» has congregated the research capacities, technological potential and human resources essential for the advancement in new branches of science and technology. The development and implementation of leading-edge technologies based on unique research and mega-facilities and complexes are the top priorities of NRC KI. Since its foundation, Kurchatov Institute has been pursuing a full cycle oriented interdisciplinary approach – from fundamental research to ready for use technologies. Today NRC «Kurchatov Institute» has nearly 10000 employees, among them about 1850 D.Sc. and 34 members of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Development of an interdisciplinary scientific basis to foster a progress in focal fields of science and technology
- Application of scientific and technological achievements. Commercialization of innovations
- Modernization and utilization of unique mega-facilities. The development of fundamentally new world-class national mega-facilities
- Development of staff potential
The NRC «Kurchatov Institute» is a multi-disciplinary research center with the advanced experimental capabilities.
Principal research areas of NRC «Kurchatov Institute»:
- Interdisciplinary convergent research in nano-, bio-, information, cognitive, socio-humanistic science and technology
- Development of technologies for a next generation nuclear power systems
- Fundamental and applied research in plasma physics and tokamaks
- Research using synchrotron radiation, neutron, proton and heavy ion sources
- Nuclear medicine
- Development of information and communication technologies and systems
- Scientific coordination of international megaprojects
- Interdisciplinary staff training
NRC «Kurchatov Institute» pursues R&D in a wide range of fields of modern science using unique research and technology facilities:
- Accelerator Complexes
- Research Nuclear Reactors
- Plasma Facilities
- Nuclear Medicine Complex
- Data Processing Center (Supercomputer)
- Complex of NBICS Technologies